In North Carolina, World Renew Disaster Response Services continues to work with local organizations to support recovery efforts following Hurricanes Matthew, Florence, and Dorian. Aurora in particular experienced severe flooding during Hurricane Florence in 2018, leaving many without safe, habitable homes.
Dates for winter and spring 2020:
January 25–February 15
February 15–March 7
March 28–April 18
April 18–May 9
You will work with 18–25 other adults from across North America. Each team has a World Renew DRS on-site manager who manages the day-to-day operations of the team and a World Renew DRS construction supervisor who manages the work projects.
- Construction crew: Work will range from minor repairs to complete new builds, with all manner of home repair and reconstruction work in between. Those with home repair/reconstruction experience and helpers are needed. The World Renew DRS Volunteer Manager puts each team together with a balance of skill sets.
- Cook crew: A team of three cooks plan and prepare three meals a day for 18–25 people, Monday through Friday. Those with experience in preparing meals for groups as well as those willing to work in the kitchen are needed.
Housing is in a church that’s been renovated for hosting mission teams. There is no longer a congregation meeting in that building so you won’t share the space with anyone other than your volunteer team. Bedrooms are provided for spouses. Individuals of the same gender may share rooms. Linens and towels are provided. There are common areas to spend your free time. There are several hook-ups available for volunteers who are able to travel to the site with their own RV.
Food: Meals are prepared by a team of volunteer cooks. Your team will eat breakfast and dinner together, Monday through Friday.
There is no cost associated with lodging. Meals are provided Monday through Friday. Volunteers are responsible for covering food costs over the weekends. The cost of travel within the U.S. and Canada is as follows:
- If you volunteer for the full three-week assignment, you are reimbursed for most of your transportation costs to and from the site.
- If you volunteer for two weeks, you are reimbursed for travel one way to the site.
- If you volunteer for one week, all travel costs are your responsibility.
Please bring sleeping bags, pillows, towels, and toiletries. A general packing list can be found on page nine of Preparing to Serve, a guide compiled by World Renew DRS. Materials and basic tools are provided and coordinated by the local construction coordinator. Skilled tradesmen are encouraged to bring their own tools, if possible. This should be discussed with the local site coordinator during the planning process.
18 years of age and up. People with construction experience and people who can act as helpers are needed. The World Renew DRS volunteer manager puts each team together with a balance of skill sets
If you would like to learn more about the RCA's volunteer opportunities for individuals and groups, please get in touch with us.
Coordinator for Volunteer Engagement
Volunteer Placement Specialist
Cultivate is a program for 18- to 25-year-olds to partner with RCA missionaries for a summer or a full year and see how God is at work in another part of the globe.