1. Listening for God’s whisper
Scripture: 1 Kings 19:11-14, Matthew 3:13–4:11, Mark 1:35-39, Luke 5:12-15
This week, you will have the opportunity to spend 30 to 45 minutes each day in solitude: reflecting on God’s Word, journaling, and praying. God is calling for you. Take advantage of this time to listen for God’s whisper.
- Why do you think that God came to Elijah in the gentle whisper instead of in the wind, fire, or earthquake?
- Why do you think Jesus was led to the desert after his baptism, before he began his ministry?
- Why do you think Jesus found it necessary to retreat to a quiet place to pray so frequently?
- Are there a lot of distractions in your life?
- What are they distracting you from?
- Do you feel hurried?
“For most of us, the great danger is not that we will renounce our faith. It is that we will become so distracted and rushed and preoccupied that we will settle for a mediocre version of it. We will just skim our lives instead of actually living them.” —John Ortberg