Making a Budget
Come up with a budget as early in the planning process as you can. To get you started, here is a list of costs you may need to account for:
- Transportation costs:
- Van rental
- Chartering a bus
- Luggage fees (check with your airline)
- Lodging (either through your host or for extra nights at hotel)
- Food (check with your host to see if food is included in your trip package):
- If you’re making your own meals, plan on $2 per meal per person
- Will you go out to eat a night?
- Budget extra money for any airport meals
- Extra costs for special excursions or activities (example: a trip to a village or a tour)
- Materials needed for your work site (VBS materials, medicines, work supplies, etc.)
- Miscellaneous fund (approximately $250 for things such as gifts and tips)
- Spending money
- Team t-shirts
- Tools (work gloves, paint brushes, etc.)
- Travel agency fees
- Visas and passports
- Costs to your church:
- Is your church paying for anything specific, or are participants totally responsible for trip costs?
- Trip costs per person—each team member should know what they are paying for
- Decide if your team will make a donation to the ministry you are serving with
The Volunteer Engagement team would love to help you prepare and develop your trip budget. Contact us at email@example.com for additional support.