Serve as a teacher of English as a Second Language at a school in Japan and you will never be the same. It's a great way to live in another culture, teach English, and learn about Christians in another part of the world.
Most importantly, you are able to share your faith with your students, most of whom are not Christians. You will have the chance to grow in your faith and relationship with God, fellowship and build new relationships with the local community, and change the world by helping Japanese Christians spread the gospel through witness and education.
The schools where RCA volunteers teach are scattered throughout Japan; some request two or three teachers and others request just one. All of the schools have a mission history and are associated with the United Church of Christ in Japan, the RCA's mission partner in Japan.
- Teach English in a Japanese Christian high school, typically with a two-year contract. Please note that these positions are demand-based opportunities, as there may be times when partner schools do not request teachers for a given school year.
- Work in a ministry of encouragement alongside teachers and church leaders.
- Build relationships with the community by being open and flexible with respect to the culture around you.
- Live and worship with the community during your term of service.
Schools provide furnished apartments for volunteer teachers.
Support services: RCA Volunteer Engagement staff agree to provide ongoing logistical and orientation support to meet the needs of volunteers. This includes readings and orientation materials, orientations, consultations, visits by mission personnel when available, emergency medical evacuation insurance, and emergency support.
- The school provides a starting salary of around $27,000 (USD) for a new graduate.
- Airfare is the responsibility of the volunteer. Schools usually reimburse for one-way airfare.
- The school provides furnished housing.
- The volunteer raises funds to cover $1,500 toward a cross-cultural orientation program prior to departure.
- Health insurance costs are shared by the volunteer and the school.
- Apartment utilities and cell phone service costs while in Japan are the responsibility of the volunteer.
- Grow in your faith and relationship with God.
- Enjoy fellowship and building new relationships with the local community.
- Change the world by helping Japanese Christians to be more effective in spreading the gospel through witness and education.
- Serve as an encouragement to Christians in Japan.
- Have a chance to learn from, serve, and be served by people of a different culture.
- Develop a personal perspective on mission and development work.
- Learn about the history and culture of Japan.
- See how your prayers and contributions impact communities in Japan.
- Help raise awareness in North America about the social/political situation in Japan as you share stories of your time in Japan.
- College graduate, with either an English major, teaching degree, or TESOL/TEFL/CELTA certificate.
- Strong Christian faith and a willingness to share your faith with others.
- Ability and desire to live in another culture.
- Willing to work in cooperation with the community and with an eagerness to be sensitive to cultural differences.
- Enjoys being with young people.
- Previous teaching experience or youth/children's ministry experience is preferred.
- Willing to represent the Reformed Church in America and live within the expectations of mission personnel.
How to apply
- Contact RCA Volunteer Engagement staff to indicate your interest either by completing and submitting the online Volunteer Interest form, by calling (616) 698-7071, or by emailing email@example.com.
- Complete and submit an RCA Individual Volunteer Application Form. Applications are due December 15 for April openings and May 1 for September openings.
If you would like to learn more about the RCA's volunteer opportunities for individuals and groups, please get in touch with us.
Coordinator for Volunteer Engagement
Volunteer Placement Specialist
Cultivate is a program for 18- to 25-year-olds to partner with RCA missionaries for a summer or a full year and see how God is at work in another part of the globe.